Domestic Abuse Protection Order

Nebraska’s Domestic Abuse Protection Order is intended to provide specific relief to you from someone who you are or have been in a close relationship with that has attempted, threatened, caused bodily injury, or intimidated you by credible threat, or engaged in sexual contact or sexual penetration without consent.

You (petitioner) will be filing this order against the respondent (person you are seeking protection from). A domestic abuse protection order requires that you meet one of the following relationships requirements with the respondent:

  • Currently married to or previously married to the respondent
  • A child of the respondent
  • Currently living with or previously lived with the respondent
  • The respondent is the father/mother of one or more of my children
  • I am currently involved or was previously involved in a dating relationship with the respondent
  • The respondent is a person related to me by blood or marriage

If you do not fit within the above relationship requirements, you may be eligible for a Harassment Protection Order.

Please take note of the following:

  • If you are granted an ex parte order, the respondent is required to follow the order, once he/she is served with the order.
  • If you are granted an ex parte order, the judge will set a hearing date; this is listed on the bottom of the second page of the order.
  • The respondent will receive a copy of the petition and affidavit.
  • You must keep a copy of the order with you at all times, in order for it to be enforced effectively.

If you have additional questions regarding the domestic abuse protection order and/or would like assistance in filling out the petition/affidavit, please contact one of our advocates.

A Domestic Abuse Protection Order includes:

If you currently have an active Domestic Abuse Protection Order from the court, and it is within 30 days of the expiration date of the original or otherwise modified protection order, and you would like to renew the order for one year, complete the forms below:

For more information, check out the State of Nebraska Judical Branch website.